- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, well drained
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, sugar and orange juice. Beat in coconut. Cover and refrigerate. In large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, oil and eggs; mix well.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Set aside 1 cup of the coconut filling; spread remaining filling between cake layers. Refrigerate. In a chilled large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into reserved filling. Frost the top and sides of cake. Garnish with oranges. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forSunny Coconut Cake
"Very tasty! It is nice and moist. It's a very refreshing cake. I especially love serving this in spring and summer."
"Delicious! Especially if stored in fridge over night. No leftovers to share with this one."
"Very good, nice and moist. everyone loved it."
"Wonderful recipe. Yummy. Thanks"