- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, well drained
- In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, sugar and orange juice. Beat in coconut. Cover and refrigerate. In another mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, oil and eggs; mix well. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Split cakes in half. Set aside 1 cup of the coconut filling; spread remaining filling between cake layers. Refrigerate. Beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into reserved filling. frost top and sides of cake; garnish with oranges. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forSunny Coconut Cake
"Very tasty! It is nice and moist. It's a very refreshing cake. I especially love serving this in spring and summer."
"Delicious! Especially if stored in fridge over night. No leftovers to share with this one."
"Very good, nice and moist. everyone loved it."
"Wonderful recipe. Yummy. Thanks"