Sunflower Sensations Recipe
—Christina Haag, Grottoes, Virginia
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon yellow paste or gel food coloring
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and food coloring. Combine milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. For chocolate dough, cream shortening and sugars in a small mixing bowl; beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup of chips. Shape chocolate dough into 20 balls. Shape yellow dough into 180 balls, about 3/4 in. each.
- 3. For each cookie, place a chocolate ball on a greased baking sheet; flatten to about 1-1/2-in. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Form nine yellow balls into rounded oval shapes; place around chocolate dough so the ends of the ovals just touch the chocolate center. (Place only two or three flowers on each baking sheet.) Repeat with remaining dough. Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 20 cookies.
Reviews for Sunflower Sensations
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2011
"I used to make these cookies many years ago and then lost the recipe, so glad to find it, I will make these cookies often, they are nice soft cookies with a great flavor. I had many comments on these cookies for taste and appearance."
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC