Sunflower Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes1 loaf, 16 slices (2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select wheat bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water of flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 157 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 25, 2014
This is excellent bread recipe. I didn't add the sunflower seeds but added caraway seeds. VERY good!
Dec 17, 2010
Good hearty recipe when you want something out of the ordinary. The sunflowers add a crunch, similar to a walnut, in the bread. Delicious!