Sunflower Oatmeal Loaves
With oats, wheat germ and sunflower kernels. a small slice of this dense bread goes a long way. The glossy top of this lovely loaf is sprinkled with sesame seeds.—Courtney Taglauer, Fairfield, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (8 slices each)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon cold water
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Place oats in a small bowl; add boiling water, honey and butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt. Beat in oat mixture until blended. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into four portions; shape into 8-in. x 2-in. loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk and cold water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. With a sharp knife, cut slits in tops of loaves.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 110 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Oatmeal-Sunflower Seed Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.