- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup oats, sugar, walnuts, sunflower kernels, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, oil, butter milk and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until well blended. Beat in 1 egg until smooth. Stir in whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; shape into round loaves. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons oats on a greased baking sheet; place loaves over oats. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg and cold water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with remaining oats. Bake at 350°for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forSunflower Oat Bread
"I followed the recipe but left out sugar by accident. It turned out great. My family loved this nutty bread with a touch of sweetness from the honey. I'll make this again and again but without extra sugar for sure."
"Made this today and was really happy with it. Turned out nicely flavored, soft crumb and easy to mix up. I will definitely make again."
"This recipe calls for 1/4 cup of buttermilk. Before my daughters aged out of 4H this was a recipe that one of them made of the county fair. I had the complete recipe on the computer. PS--the judge liked it at county fair and sent it on to State Fair."
"How much buttermilk? It is not listed with the other ingredients."