Sunflower Kernel Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup roasted salted sunflower kernels, divided
- In a bowl, combine the raisins, apricots and apple juice; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg and mix well. Combine flour, oats and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture. Stir in raisin mixture and 1/3 cup sunflower kernels. Chill.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Sprinkle with the remaining sunflower kernels.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 127 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 20, 2019
Before adding the sunflower kernels, I had to add another Tablespoon of apple juice because mixture was too dry. Though the apricots and sunflower seeds worked well together, flavor lacked something and I suspect it to be vanilla. This cookie pairs well with coffee or tea.