This chicken stir-fry gets a nice crunch from sunflower kernels, carrots, celery and broccoli. It's full of color and flavor.—Lori Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, stir-fry chicken until no longer pink. Add the vegetables, sunflower kernels, seasoning blend and garlic powder; stir-fry for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and broth until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Sunflower Chicken in Country Woman January/February 2000