Sunflower-Cherry Granola Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- Spread oats into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, spread almonds and coconut into another ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in peanut butter until combined. Add the raisins, cherries, sunflower kernels, and toasted oats, almonds and coconut.
- Using a metal spatula, press mixture into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cool to room temperature. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 208 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 22, 2017
Jan 27, 2014
I used honey instead of corn syrup and I used salted sunflower seeds, gave it a nice sweet and salty flavour. I cut mine into 60 servings to make nice size 100 calorie bars.
Jul 31, 2012
Was wondering if you could use raw vs. salted sunflower kernels? How about pepitas (the inside "seed" of the pumpkin seed) or other small nut in place of the sunflower seeds? I like the idea of all honey instead of the corn syrup, since it contains high fructose corn syrup...makes the bars healthier!
Mar 30, 2011
These were so addictive! I used honey roasted peanut butter and substituted some of the corn syrup with honey and it came out great!
Aug 3, 2010
EXCELLENT!! I'm always on the hunt for homemade versions of store-bought granola bars and these are definitely a keeper! Substituted dried cranberries for the cherries since they were so much cheaper.
Oct 1, 2009
Do not over heat syrup and sugar as I did the first time I made as it sets up too much quickly & had to mix with hands & was hard to cut. Could probably use honey instead of syrup.Very Good. We both liked but don't press down too much as they get too hard.
Jun 7, 2009
Wow, couldn't believe how good these are. I followed the recipe except for the "cherries & raisins", I used a dried multi-berry blend (Welch's & Sunsweet both have one in the grocery stores) and I make my own peanutbutter. Yes, it has sugar it in, but they're the best tasting one's I've ever made.
Apr 14, 2009
We apologize for the error in the recipe description. It should have read, "The chewy bars have plenty of oats and nuts." The corn syrup in the recipe is correct.Thank you for bringing this to our attention.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
May 10, 2008
where is the honey? Did you sub it for the corn syrup