Sunday Supper Sandwiches
This delish dish can be prepared in a 4-quart slow cooker as well. Simply cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. —Libby Walp, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard, divided
- 1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened applesauce
- 8 slices rye bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place sauerkraut in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; brush with 2 tablespoons mustard. Place over sauerkraut. Add cider and applesauce.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until pork is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Drain sauerkraut mixture; set aside. Shred pork with 2 forks.
- Place toast on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread with remaining mustard. Top with pork, then sauerkraut mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 403 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 966mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.