My adult children adore this recipe and look forward to eating it when they come to our house for lunch on Sundays after church. I do some preparation for this recipe before leaving for church on Sunday morning and finish it after church. That is why we call it Sunday Paella. — Linda Rhoads, Lebanon, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a Dutch oven, cook and stir chicken in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Add sausage and onion; cook 3-4 minutes longer. Add the rice, Italian seasoning, turmeric and pepper; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 14-18 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Stir in the shrimp, tomatoes, peas and sugar; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 570 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 190mg cholesterol, 1309mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 44g protein.
Originally published as Sunday Paella in Recipe Card Collection Fall 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.