Sunday Meat Loaf
I try to make special foods for my family. So I add this and that to recipes to create memorable meals. This meat loaf often appears on our Sunday dinner table. - Patricia Van Houten, Elkton, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with ketchup. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter.
If you open up a whole package of bacon but don't use it all at once, freeze strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. When frozen, transfer to a large resealable plastic bag. Remove and thaw strips as needed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Sunday Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.