Sunday Chicken Supper Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (2 inch)
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes (about 5), quartered
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1. In the order listed, layer first seven ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with bouillon and seasonings. Pour water over top. Do not stir.
- 2. Cook, covered, until chicken and vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and vegetables to a platter. If desired, skim fat from cooking juices and thicken for gravy. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 385 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 898mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
Reviews for Sunday Chicken Supper
"You can get rid of so much of the sodium by using chicken broth and I bet the flavor would be woderful"
"Made this tonight for dinner. The only thing extra I added was bay leaves and some garlic. However, it was EXTREMELY bland. I tried to spice up the gravy at least but not even that could save the mess that was the chicken. It was so bland my 2 children (5 and 6) didn't even want to eat it. I don't know what I'm going to do with the leftovers as none of us have any desire to eat it ever ever again! I'm sorry but I have no clue what the other reviews see or taste in this. Was a sore disappointment of a dinner. I feel like I need to go make another dinner to make up for the sad tastebuds around this house."
"While visiting my daughter, I put together this recipe which we enjoyed following a fun afternoon out with friends. This delicious dish greeted us with a wonderful aroma when we got back to the house. Now that I'm back home, I'm going to make this dish again for this Sunday. The seasonings were just right. We did make the recipe with fresh green beans as specified, but this time I am going to try using frozen cut green beans instead."
"I have made this recipe many times. It is one of my wife's and my favorite recipes."
"This a great recipe..that I will make again and again. It comes out just like the picture. It is full of flavor. I serve it with homemade rolls or bread!"