Sunday Brunch Strata
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place bread cubes in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, spinach, cheeses, mustard, salt, nutmeg, pepper and mushroom mixture; pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Jan 17, 2013
May 12, 2012
This was not great. It lacked flavour. I might try making it again with a stronger cheese and definitely some more salt.
Apr 27, 2011
Question that came to me while reading this recipe and all others that ask for squeezing the water out of frozen spinach. I am surprised the industry has not made a freeze dried spinach for recipes that use spinach. Just a thought......
Nov 10, 2010
This was very tasty. I made it the night before and had it for dinner the next night, it was handy to be able to do that. Served with Turkey Sage Sausage recipe in the same issue, very yummy.
Oct 9, 2010
This was just "okay" to our family, certainly not impressed with it. There are so many breakfast casserole recipes available -- I will choose others over this one. We thought it had too much bread, for one thing. Also, consider it more than 8 servings!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.