- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg substitute, milk and seasonings until blended. Stir in potatoes, cheese, bacon and pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSunday Brunch Egg Casserole
"To "hassal" who couldn't find shredded hash-browns., I always use the fresh, shredded hash-browns found on shelf, just above the eggs in every grocery store I shop in. I think they are much better than frozen and they also come in Southwestern (seasoned) style. Hope this helps those who didn't know they were available."
"The recipe sounded very good. I decided to try. My family didn't particularly care for it since it was bland. Next time I may substitute sausage for the bacon. I also had to cook it almost an hour at eventually 400 degrees in order for it to set."
"The hash browns kept this very moist. It was good breakfast dish for overnight guests."
"A question? Why do you have to use eggs AND egg substitute? Why can't you use all egg substitute and cut some cholesterol?"
"My husband is diabetic, but he hates knowing he's eating like it. He loved this casserole so it's a keeper in our house."
"I followed directions to a tee. It was very bland. My family didn't like it."
"Very good, added mushrooms & used ham instead of bacon. Nice to be able to make ahead. A keeper for sure. I had trouble getting the shredded home fries so I bought the big ones and cut them up."
"My husband gave this a thumbs up! I followed Zinna's suggestion of using fresh tomatoes and sausage, as I am not a fan of bacon and I used grape tomatoes, halved. Tomatoes work well with eggs. I mixed all the ingredients the night before and just put it in the pan the next day and baked it. Will definitely make again."
"instead of bacon,i used sausage and added fresh tomatoes.i cut the recipe in half.it was delicious.will be making it for easter sunday brunch."