- 6 slices sourdough bread
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion tops
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of asparagus soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove and discard crust from bread if desired. Butter bread; cube and place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese, sausage, red pepper and onions in order given.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the soup, milk, wine, mustard and pepper. Pour over bread mixture; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSunday Brunch Casserole
"<p>I give this recipe 3 starts as is but 5 stars with the modifications I've made to it.</p><p>I made this dish for a Christmas breakfast party last week. It sounded yummy and people seemed to enjoy it, BUT I/we found it to be very under seasoned made as is. This recipe was screaming for salt! :) Since I think this dish had such great promise, I made it again for dinner tonight with some modifications, and it was absolutely, positively delicious!</p><p>Here are the adjustments that I made: Season (to taste) the pork with kosher salt and black pepper while browning. Use 1 3/4 c milk and 1/2 c white wine. Use 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Also add a pinch or two of kosher salt to the egg/soup mixture.</p><p>The cooking times were way, way off both times I've made this. 45 to 55 minutes at 350 is not nearly enough time; the casserole was runny and not cooked. Both times I've made this dish, I baked it at 350 for 60 minutes then 375 for the last 30 minutes and let it stand for 15 minutes before serving.</p><p>I would make this again and again using the modifications I've made. I've even shared this recipe with two people with the modifications; that's how much I loved it tonight.</p>"
"I make this for special brunches. It's very different and good!"
"I love that this is make ahead. My entire family loves this recipe also. It is absolutly yummy and super easy."