Sunday Beef Stew
We had an aunt who served this special stew on every special occasion when we all got together. It brings back wonderful memories. The cinnamon adds a unique flavor.—Jeanette Lazary, Rochester, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and onions are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 375 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Greek Beef Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips