Summertime Main-Dish Salad
Summertime Main-Dish Salad, from field editor Ruby Williams of Bogalusa, Louisiana, is cook and satisfying. "This salad has all the spark of Cajun jambalaya," Ruby remarks.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 2-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked low-fat ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup cider or red wine vinegar
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the first seven ingredients in oil until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar. Cool for 5 minutes. In a bowl, toss rice, chicken, celery, peppers and onions. stir in the ham mixture. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Garnish with tomatoes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 251 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Summertime Main-Dish Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.