Summertime Barbecue Sauce
When my daughter was seven, she would come home from school and eat this sauce by the spoonfuls. Company loves it, too, on pork chops or ribs. Every time I make it, someone asks for the recipe! —Diane C Shipley, Mentor, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1-1/3 cups lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cool. Transfer to storage containers; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 78 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Barbecue Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.