Every Sunday night during the summer, a local park near our home holds free outdoor concerts. We've been going for years. These subs are perfect for picnics, so I've taken them to the park several times. Jennie Todd - Lancaster, PA
Recommended: 30 Fresh Ways to Use Up Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 2 loaves French bread (1 pound each), halved lengthwise
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 2 cups alfalfa sprouts
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 6 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, halved
- Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Julienne peppers.
- Combine the mayonnaise, basil, parsley and tarragon; spread over bread bottoms. Top with spinach, cucumbers, sprouts, roasted peppers, tomatoes, avocados, turkey and cheese. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into six slices. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Summer Veggie Subs in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009, p31