Summer Veggie Pie
This is a favorite in late summer because family and friends grow the ingredients, then pass them on to my sister and me. We have fun creating meals together.—Florence Palmer, Marshall, Illinois.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded, chopped and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, cut butter into flour until crumbly. Gradually add the water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 10 minutes. In a skillet, saute zucchini and onions in oil for 5 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer to plate; trim and flute edges. Spoon tomatoes over crust. Top with zucchini mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over cheese. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 370 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Summer Veggie Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.