Summer Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled red potato
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in celery leaves and tomato paste. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 210 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1128mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Summer Vegetable Soup
"I loved this soup and only gave it 4 stars because I modified it and didn't stick with the recipe "as written". I added a little orange pepper, garlic with the onion, chopped celery instead of leaves, 1/4 tsp. ground mustard, 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning, and sprinkled a little cooked bacon on top because I was hungry for bacon. I also skipped the tomato paste. I love recipes like this that allow the cook to interchange vegetables to personal preference and I agree that the turmeric gives it a great flavor and color! I'll keep this one for sure!"
"Tumeric gives broth a nice flavor."
"Very tasty. I love the idea of using my veggies from my garden. Nice and fresh, smells great cooking on the stove."
"I made this as directed except that I used chick peas instead of white beans, and I used fresh herbs from my garden for the seasoning. Next time I will make it a little spicier but it was delicious. I like it cold on hot , humid summer days."
"Delicious! I made this soup for meatless Monday. I followed the recipe to a T and It was a big hit. I will make this again and again. Thanks!"
"We had this for dinner tonight. Delish!!!!"
"Great soup! Used canned petite tomatoes & frozen mixed vegetables in place of of tomato & green beans. Didn't have any turmeric but added minced garlic to onions. Delicious will make again."
"this looks great and I'm going to try it today ... but I want to know if it will freeze well for enjoying this fall/winter???? I'll upgrade my review after trying the recipe ... :)"
"Seriously anybody who doesn't read how people change/add/delete things from a recipe is losing out I get a lot of good ideas from people who share their changes they made. "
"I haven't tried the recipe. It looks good though."
" To become a good cook, you have to learn to expand on recipes to make them your own. Try it! The purpose of reviews is not to just say whether or not it was good, but to share ideas of how to modify/expand it. "
"the soup was good. I always alter a recipe and love the reviews where people say what they have done to add to it. "