- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled red potato
- 1/2 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in celery leaves and tomato paste. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSummer Vegetable Soup
"I loved this soup and only gave it 4 stars because I modified it and didn't stick with the recipe "as written". I added a little orange pepper, garlic with the onion, chopped celery instead of leaves, 1/4 tsp. ground mustard, 1/4 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning, and sprinkled a little cooked bacon on top because I was hungry for bacon. I also skipped the tomato paste. I love recipes like this that allow the cook to interchange vegetables to personal preference and I agree that the turmeric gives it a great flavor and color! I'll keep this one for sure!"
"Tumeric gives broth a nice flavor."
"Very tasty. I love the idea of using my veggies from my garden. Nice and fresh, smells great cooking on the stove."
"I made this as directed except that I used chick peas instead of white beans, and I used fresh herbs from my garden for the seasoning. Next time I will make it a little spicier but it was delicious. I like it cold on hot , humid summer days."
"Delicious! I made this soup for meatless Monday. I followed the recipe to a T and It was a big hit. I will make this again and again. Thanks!"
"We had this for dinner tonight. Delish!!!!"
"Great soup! Used canned petite tomatoes & frozen mixed vegetables in place of of tomato & green beans. Didn't have any turmeric but added minced garlic to onions. Delicious will make again."
"this looks great and I'm going to try it today ... but I want to know if it will freeze well for enjoying this fall/winter???? I'll upgrade my review after trying the recipe ... :)"
"Seriously anybody who doesn't read how people change/add/delete things from a recipe is losing out I get a lot of good ideas from people who share their changes they made. "