Summer Vegetable Salad
THIS SALAD is not only delicious, it helped our family weather the Depression. I still remember lining up with Papa to receive dried beans and a 10-pound sack of yellow cornmeal. We used the cornmeal to make polenta. Mother made this salad with vegetables from the garden, and it really tasted good with the polenta. -Rudy Mancini, Calistoga, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar if desired. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 131 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Summer Vegetable Salad in Reminisce July/August 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.