- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, milk, salt and pepper; stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- For topping, in a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese and basil. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls over filling. Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSummer Vegetable Cobbler
"New family favorite! After eating fried and saut?ed squash all summer, it was time for a change. I made this recipe to use up some veggies from the garden. My husband and I loved it! I did use whole buttermilk instead of regular milk in the recipe. But I do that in almost every recipe that calls for plain milk. Delicious!"
"My husband and I both thought this was delicious. It is a keeper and I will definitely be making it again. Note, I only had half a red pepper so used half an orange pepper (so that I had a whole pepper). Other than that small change followed as written."
"Wow,what a great recipe ! Thanks for sharing !"
"Look fwd. to making, especially with the glorious ratings."
"I thought this was a yummy and easy-fast dish using a lot of ingredients already on hand. I made it a side dish."
"Very easy to make, very tasty & freezes well."
"Had a lot of flavor. Great way to use zucchini up!"
"This recipe has a lot of flavor! The topping really brings it all together! I love being able to use up all my zucchini out of the garden! Thank you for finding another unique way to utilize squash! The only changes I made were I used canola oil and skim milk to make it more heart healthy, plus a little tarragon for additional flavor."
"This is the best summer squash bake I've had - by far. I used zuchhini, patty pan, crookneck and straightneck yellow squash - I doubled the squash and the sauce and am glad I did. The filling to biscuit ratio was just right for me and doubling the sauce and even adding a little more water, made the casserole moist, but not watery. I had fresh basil and shredded (not grated) parmesan and the biscuits complimented the filling nicely. Great Recipe. Thanks!"