Summer Squash Saute
"Yes, my family loves squash of all kinds," confirms Shelbyville, Tennessee's Jane Chartrand, who shares this fresh-tasting dish sparked with flavors of bacon and Parmesan cheese.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups halved small sunburst or pattypan squash
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2-in slices
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the squash, peppers and basil. Cover and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar and bacon. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 74 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Summer Squash Saute in Taste of Home August/September 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.