Summer Squash Pepper Gratin
"This satisfying side dish is one of our family's all-time favorites and looks beautiful on a buffet table, too," says Barbara Nowakowski from North Tonawanda, New York.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large unpeeled potato (12 ounces)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pierce potato with a fork; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until tender but firm. Cool slightly; cut into thin slices.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the green and red peppers; drizzle with oil. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 3-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the potato, yellow squash, zucchini, pepper mixture, oregano, salt, pepper and cheese. Repeat layers. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 121 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Summer Squash Pepper Gratin in Quick Cooking July/August 2004