"This satisfying side dish is one of our family's all-time favorites and looks beautiful on a buffet table, too," says Barbara Nowakowski from North Tonawanda, New York.
Recommended: 31 Irresistible Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large unpeeled potato (12 ounces)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pierce potato with a fork; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until tender but firm. Cool slightly; cut into thin slices.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the green and red peppers; drizzle with oil. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 3-1/2 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the potato, yellow squash, zucchini, pepper mixture, oregano, salt, pepper and cheese. Repeat layers. Dot with butter.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Summer Squash Pepper Gratin in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p16