Summer Squash Enchiladas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow squash
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 10 flour tortillas (6 to 8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- Sour cream
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add squash and saute until tender. Add chicken and chilies; heat through.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, chili powder, salt and pepper; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Cook until sauce comes to a boil; cook an additional minute until thickened. Add 1/3 cup sauce to chicken mixture; mix well. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread remaining sauce on top.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with tomatoes and remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 473 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 12, 2011
I MADE THIS AND I LIKED IT BUT MY HUSBAND DIDN'T SO FOR SUPPER I MADE SOME MORE WHITE SAUCE AND ADDED CHEESE SINCE I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PUT THAT IN FIRST. HE LIKED THAT. I THINK IT JUST HAD TOO MUCH CHILI POWDER SO NEXT TIME I MAKE IT I WON'T PUT SO MUCH IN. IT DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH SAUCE FOR ME SO I DOUBLED THE SAUCE BUT HALVED THE CHILI POWDER AND WOULD LEAVE THE CHILI POWDER OUT NEXT TIME. I LIKE MY ENCHILADAS WITH LOTS OF SAUCE. IT IS A VERY GOOD IDEA TO USE UP THE SUMMER SQUASH. I HAVE GOTTEN SO MANY GOOD RECIPES OFF OF TASTE OF HOME FOR SUMMERR SQUASH. I HAVE ALSO CANNED 28 QTS OF YELLOW SQUASH TO USE IN CASSEROLES AND MUFFINS THIS WINTER. THE REASON I ONLY GAVE IT 4 STARS WAS THE CHILI POWDER IN IT.
Jul 24, 2011
This was easy to make and was delicious. Next time I make it, I will try chopping the squash a bit smaller. Great way to use a surplus of summer squash.