Summer Spiral Salad
In San Antonio, Texas, Evelyn Billingsley celebrates the freshet tastes of the season by tossing together an herb-enhanced salad. "It's a simple and delicious way to perk up picnics and potlucks," she suggests. "Be creative and add sliced zucchini, yellow summer squash or any vegetables your family fancies."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 4 cups cooked spiral pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into thin strips
- 2 ounces turkey salami, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar and seasonings; shake well. Pour over pasta mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.