An overabundant garden led to this recipe! As the vegetable crop changes with the seasons, the soup can too— try using cauliflower, broccoli or garden-fresh peas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (about 1 quart)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes, carrots and beans in water to cover until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute garlic and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until bubbly. Gradually add chicken broth, milk and seasonings. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add vegetables; heat through.