- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small sweet yellow, orange or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, water, vinegar, sugar and seasonings until blended. In a large bowl, combine macaroni, peppers, onion and celery. Add 1 cup dressing; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until cold. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing to add just before serving.
- To serve, stir in reserved dressing. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forSummer Macaroni Salad
"We did like this, but a good idea would be to make extra dressing and add it before serving since ours did soak up the original quickly and became dry. I cooked the pasta in water flavored with Tony Chachere's seasoning for more flavor and since it's summer, we have tomatoes out the wazoo so some pieces were added. This really is a great recipe and will be used again - thank you for posting it."
"Made it. I did not have any bell peppers to add. It sure was good tasting. Will make ti again without the bell peppers. This is my go to salad."
"Yummy, my hubby liked it the way it was written so I split it and added a little more of everything so we had more. I added a drained can of tiny shrimp and some Old Bay to my half and it was delish."
"this sounds delicious-only thing I'll add to are the seasoning amounts, we like lots of flavor and 1/4 t garlic powder to me needs to be bumped up as do others. thanks for posting"
"Important to let it set that 2 hours after making, I liked it better the next day.I will make again"
"Good and simple taste. Perfect for the whole family from grandparents to the 3 year old."
"This was just okay for us. I found it to be a little dry for my preference, even after adding the remaining dressing just before serving. I ended up with leftovers and made another half batch of dressing to stir in the next day which helped. I also added some toasted onion powder and a few herbs to bump up the flavor a bit."
"Good salad. I did add a little pickle relish for tang."