Summer Garden Medley
"This colorful side dish brings back sweet memories of the corn-and-tomato dish my mother often prepared int the summer," pens Elaine Nelson, Fresno, California. "Farmers in our area supply us with delicious eggplant...so I sometimes substitute them for the zucchini in veggie recipes like this one."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the zucchini, corn, green pepper, leek and seasoned salt in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomatoes; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 113 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Summer Garden Medley in Light & Tasty June/July 2004