Summer Bounty Ratatouille Recipe
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium zucchini, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 French bread baguettes (10-1/2 ounces each), cubed and toasted
- 1. Place eggplant in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with kosher salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and peppers in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the zucchini, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Stir in the basil, rosemary and parsley. Serve over baguette cubes. Yield: 13 servings.
Could also be served over spaghetti.
1 cup ratatouille with 1 cup bread cubes: 234 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 658mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable.