Sugarplum Pudding Cake
Here’s an old-fashioned classic that really says Christmas. “I’ve been told this recipe tastes like German chocolate cake,” notes Lois McAtee of Oceanside, California. “It was a winner in a recipe contest, too.”
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dried plums
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- COCONUT TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat just until combined. Fold in plums and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in sugar and buttermilk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Immediately spread topping over cake when removed from the oven. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 450 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Sugar Plum Pudding Cake in Cooking for 2 Winter 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.