I often bring these with me to either a shower or receptions. They are different then a tray of cookies and disappear quickly.—Brenda Osborne, Cleveland, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until heated through. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, coffee, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Add warm walnuts; toss to coat.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. pan; separate with a fork. Cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 344 calories, 24g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Walnuts in Country Woman Christmas 2005