I often bring these with me to either a shower or receptions. They are different then a tray of cookies and disappear quickly.—Brenda Osborne, Cleveland, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until heated through. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, coffee, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Add warm walnuts; toss to coat.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. pan; separate with a fork. Cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 344 calories, 24g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Walnuts in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.