Folks like these tender twists because they aren't rich or overly sweet. I usually double the recipe to feed our five eager eaters and fill holiday gift plates for friends.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- Red and green or multicolored nonpareils
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir into flour mixture; beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Combine remaining sugar and vanilla; sprinkle some over work surface. Roll each portion of dough into a 15x5-in. rectangle. Fold in thirds; sprinkle with additional sugar mixture. Repeat rolling and folding twice.
- Cut into 5x1-in. strips. Sprinkle with nonpareils; press down lightly. Twist and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Originally published as Sugared Twists in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.