Sugared Doughnut Holes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls, five or six at a time, into oil. Fry until browned, about 1-2 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnut holes in confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 doughnut hole: 47 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Feb 6, 2016
Very good This was my first attempt at making doughnuts. I changed out the nutmeg, because I don't like it, for vanilla. We really liked them. We plan making them often
Oct 25, 2015
I liked it is was easy to make and not that much time to fry up at all. I thought that maybe next time I will cut the nutmeg in half it was stronger after they where cooked. I also made fronting for them and dipped them in chocolate which made it better I think. I would do this again.
Jan 11, 2015
Jan 18, 2014
Easy to make. Very tender. I am not sure about the nutmeg. Perhaps a reduced amount would be preferable. I thought the taste was more reminiscent of funnel cakes than doughnut holes, but they were still tasty.
Jul 4, 2013
Easy to make ,fast, and super delicious!!! I can't see the stars on my screen but I give 5stars
Jun 30, 2013
I made this recipe a few times and everyone loved it, so we made them for a fundraiser. Made about 1500, with a small cookie scoop they were the perfect size. Some tips, make the dough the day before they actually puff up a lot more. We stored the dough in zip lock bags. They are almost better after they have sat for an hour.
Jan 31, 2013
GREAT RECIPE!! I substituted cinnamon in place of nutmeg. Rolled half the batch in cinnamon sugar and the other half in powdered sugar after frying them.
Jan 26, 2013
Tender and delicious! Delicate and light, yet they do not fall apart. The balance of flavors is perfect. Definitely a keeper!
Jan 25, 2013
So easy and quick.. Something to take care of your sweet tooth.So good with a cup of coffee or a cup of hot tea.They are also yummy.
Oct 14, 2012
Made these this morning and they were very easy and taste awesome! My kids are in love! I will make these often :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.