Sugar-Topped Mocha Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat 1-1/2 cups sugar, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture until blended. Stir in coffee.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half of the mixture over batter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Immediately sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over cupcakes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Editor's NoteThis recipe does not use eggs.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 133 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Aug 28, 2012
We're sorry if you are disappointed in this recipe. Brewed coffee is often added to chocolate cake batter to enhance the chocolate flavor and help give the cake a moist texture but not necessarily a coffee flavor. We apologize if the title is misleading.Country Woman Test Kitchen
May 29, 2012
Might want to try instant espresso (2tbsp) and 2 cups water. brewed coffee will be too weak
Nov 22, 2011
P.S. The coffee flavor does not come through when baked.
Nov 22, 2011
Very moist but recipe is in dire need of flavor assistance.
Feb 3, 2011
I took these to a family get-together and everyone wanted the recipe! A moist texture and not over-the-top sweetness makes these particularly nice! Thanks for sharing!
Sep 27, 2008
These cupcakes are very moist, but are the most blah cupcakes I've ever had. Will not make again.
Mar 4, 2008
These cupcakes are tender, moist, easy to mix up and don't need frosting—great when you are in a hurry. You just sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the batter before baking and again when you take the cupcakes out of the oven. It makes for a sweet, slightly crunchy topping.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.