Sugar Spiced Almonds
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups unblanched whole almonds
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Add almonds; toss to coat. Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 250° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 533 calories, 44g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 1, 2015
I recall preparing this recipe! I'd added 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon with 1/4 cup sugar and also adding 2 cups f miniature pretzel twists. I omitted the red pepper flakes and I'd used up to 4 cups of whole almonds. I used a large roasting pan (OR steamer-type oblong pan to bake these almonds. I found this recipe to be very tasty! To me, adding pretzels makes a great snack mix! Thank you for sharing this recipe! delowenstein
Nov 21, 2011
I have made this several times. I love them, as does everyone who has tried them!
Nov 22, 2010
I followed the recipe exactly and the were awful. What a waste of nuts. I found another recipe similar to this on another site that uses honey. I'm going to try and save the almonds.
Nov 5, 2010
I have made this every year around Christmas since the recipe came out in TOH. My family and friends look forward to a gift bag with these. It is a great combination of sweet and spicy. It can be made with Splenda for diabetics.
Dec 31, 2009
This one has become a standard on my table when entertaining. Makes a great gift too!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.