Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat 1 minute longer or until thickened. Stir in the almonds, coconut, dates and extracts. Transfer to an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until browned and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the oven; stir. Let stand for 6-8 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Cool completely on waxed paper. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 79 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 24, 2017
I can't say enough good things about this recipe. I have made it every year for the last 8 years as part of my Christmas cookie "must haves." I have a family member who needs gluten free/milk free, this meets that need deliciously. I can't stand dates, yet I love this recipe. It seems to have taken care of that date flavor which I just can't stand. You must try this. It is wonderful!! (PS... I roll them in large crystal sugar, or demararie sugar and they sparkle more and look more festive).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.