Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 1 minute. Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat 1 minute longer or until thickened. Stir in the almonds, coconut, dates and extracts. Transfer to an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until browned and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the oven; stir. Let stand for 6-8 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Cool completely on waxed paper. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 79 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 24, 2017
I can't say enough good things about this recipe. I have made it every year for the last 8 years as part of my Christmas cookie "must haves." I have a family member who needs gluten free/milk free, this meets that need deliciously. I can't stand dates, yet I love this recipe. It seems to have taken care of that date flavor which I just can't stand. You must try this. It is wonderful!! (PS... I roll them in large crystal sugar, or demararie sugar and they sparkle more and look more festive).