Sugar Plum Sweet Rolls
My sweet rolls are a cross between cinnamon buns and kolaches. Package some in decorative cellophane bags for homemade gifts.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups pitted dried plums
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the warm milk, butter, egg yolks, sugar, salt and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 15x12-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; spread over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices.
- Place rolls, cut side down, in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plates.
- Combine the confectioner's sugar, pecans, orange juice and zest until blended. Spoon over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 321 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Prune Ambrosia Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2012