Sugar Plum Sweet Rolls
My sweet rolls are a cross between cinnamon buns and kolaches. Package some in decorative cellophane bags for homemade gifts.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups pitted dried plums
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the warm milk, butter, egg yolks, sugar, salt and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 15x12-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; spread over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 1-in. slices.
- Place rolls, cut side down, in two greased 13x9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plates.
- Combine the confectioner's sugar, pecans, orange juice and zest until blended. Spoon over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 321 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Prune Ambrosia Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.