Sugar Plum Scones
Dried plums and a sprinkling of coarse sugar make these treats delightfully Christmasy. Spread them with butter, cream cheese or preserves.—Julie McQuiston, Bradenton, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in plums and orange zest. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each into a 7-in. circle. Cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Combine egg and milk; brush over scones. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 279 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Prune and Orange Scones in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.