Sugar Plum Kringles
Be generous like Scrooge was as a changed man at the end of Charles Dickens', A Christmas Carol, and share the bounty of your kitchen with friends and neighbors. This recipe makes four kringles, so you'll have three to give and one to keep. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 20 min.
Makes4 pastries (6 slices each)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup plum jam, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 8 teaspoons finely chopped walnuts or pecans, divided
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place flour in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in sour cream. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion into a 12x6-in. rectangle. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to use.) Spread 3 tablespoons jam lengthwise down the center. Fold in sides of pastry to meet in the center; pinch seam to seal. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon each nuts and orange zest. Repeat. Place on two ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over warm pastries. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and remaining nuts; sprinkle over warm pastries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 183 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sugar Plum Kringle in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.