- 1 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine dried plums, water and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat; let stand until plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain plums, reserving fruit and liquid. Measure liquid, adding enough water to yield 1/2 cup.
- Cream shortening and remaining granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with cooking liquid; fold in cooled dried plums (batter will be thick).
- Transfer batter to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs, 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Reviews forSugar Plum Bread
"This bread is delicious, and pretty low in calories too. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I used "Sugar In the Raw" turbinado sugar crystals for the coarse sugar to sprinkle on top. It was great, especially slightly toasted with cream cheese."
"This bread is wonderful. I followed the recipe as written and it came out wonderful (in high altitude)."