Sugar ‘n’ Spice Pinwheel Rolls
The family is thrilled when my grandmother, mother and I make these biscuit-like rolls. They have just the right amount of sweetness.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold butter, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons raisins, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Roll into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Combine the pecans, brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon and allspice; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place cut side up on a greased baking sheet; press down lightly.
- Beat egg yolk and milk; brush over rolls. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 215 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.