Sugar ‘n’ Spice Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool.
- For frosting, cream the confectioners' sugar, butter and zest in a large bowl. Gradually add lemon juice, beating until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 169 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 13, 2016
My family loves frosted cookies and this is one that I make that never lasts long after they are frosted. They are really good.
Nov 19, 2013
In a time crunch, I used prepackaged gingersnap cookies but made the frosting as stated. I got so many raves for this dessert when I paired it with a bbq luncheon. The frosting was not runny and kept it's shape. Instead of spreading the frosting on the top of the cookies, I dipped half the cookie from the side and put two on a dessert plate. The added lemon zest gave the wow factor. I plan on making the cookies from the recipe next time.