Sugar ‘n’ Spice Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- LEMON FROSTING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool.
- For frosting, cream the confectioners' sugar, butter and zest in a large bowl. Gradually add lemon juice, beating until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 169 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
May 13, 2016
My family loves frosted cookies and this is one that I make that never lasts long after they are frosted. They are really good.
Nov 19, 2013
In a time crunch, I used prepackaged gingersnap cookies but made the frosting as stated. I got so many raves for this dessert when I paired it with a bbq luncheon. The frosting was not runny and kept it's shape. Instead of spreading the frosting on the top of the cookies, I dipped half the cookie from the side and put two on a dessert plate. The added lemon zest gave the wow factor. I plan on making the cookies from the recipe next time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.