Sugar Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer crust to pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to crust; sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack; refrigerate until chilled.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 418 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 275mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 13, 2020
The pie was delicious, but my family didn't like the texture. The sugar cream pie they are used to is more custardy. Also, didn't know what temp to bake it at when it was in the pie shell as the last directions for temperature was to turn it down to 375.
May 29, 2020
May 13, 2020
This was good, and while I expected it to be sweet, I didn’t expect it to be so sweet. I wonder if using buttermilk would help/work? Or cutting down the sugar a little bit?
Apr 4, 2020
I have been wanting to make this pie for years, and finally did. It was everything that I thought it would be, creamy, silky, with the flavors of butter and vanilla coming through. I did read the reviews, and added a dash of nutmeg with the cinnamon on top. And, I cheated with the pie crust and used a Pillsbury crust from the dairy case - but baking it in the microwave for 5 minutes on high power (my mother-in-law taught me that trick). I will make this again.
Dec 29, 2019
A great sugar cream pie (I say as a born-and-bred Hoosier myself). Know that the filling will still be very jiggly when the time in the oven is done. I was worried it would never set. Letting it cool on the kitchen table, it was visibly more firm in 15-20 minutes. After several hours in the fridge, the filling was nice and firm -- a beautiful texture! Flavor is nice and vanilla-y but not overwhelmingly so.
Nov 29, 2019
This is the perfect recipe for sugar cream pie. My family who lives in Indiana loved it. it is good warmed or chilled. I did use nutmeg instead of cinnamon. Thanks for sharing recipe.
Nov 23, 2019
this is good pie nut I like to sprinkle nutmeg on the top instead for cinnamon
Apr 18, 2019
My family loved this pie. I was worried about it being too runny because it was very jiggly when I first took it out of the oven. After chilling for about 4 hours, the pie firmed up enough, and texture was perfectly creamy. The only thing I did different was added a little nutmeg with the cinammon.
Mar 31, 2019
It's not REAL INDIANA Sugar Cream Pie without a sprinkle of nutmeg with the cinnamon. That's essential.
Jan 29, 2019
This pie is excellent. We prefer it warmed, so I warm each slice in the microwave before serving. Makes for a great dessert when you are out of eggs!