- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in additional sugar. Place on greased baking sheets; flatten with a glass. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forSugar Cookies
"1) be sure to add 1/2 teaspoon salt if you use unsalted butter.2) IF the recipe makes 60 servings, and IF each serving costs $.15, the ingredients would cost $9.00......"
"My grandson and I made these delicious cookies today--very easy and he said "yummy." We got 38 cookies, not 60, but who cares? We will make a double batch next time if we want more cookies. We loved the texture and taste. We will definitely make these again."
"Tasty treat! Family loves them"
"When I make them I will use lard."
"To those of you bashing this recipe because it calls for shortening, there is a reason for it. I split my cookie recipes a lot! Again, there is a reason for it!This is such a good recipe!"
"I haven't made these yet but I wouldn't use shortening for sugar cookies. It should be all butter as far as I'm concerned. But the rest of the ingredients are fine."
"These cookies are wonderful. Very light and delicate. I made these several times and usually get 5-6 dozen cookies each time. They don't last long!"
"Yes, shortening is Crisco. I use the butter flavored one for baking."
"When it says shortening, does it mean like crisco??"