Whenever my husband and I visit family in Maryland, we all cook dinner together. Everybody offers up ways to improve recipes, and that's how this dessert came to be. Sugar cookies from the bakery make a speedy "crust." —Barb White, Ligonier, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 30 Recipes for Valentine's Day Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 large sugar cookies (3 inches)
- Assorted fresh fruit
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, mix first five ingredients until smooth; stir in 3 tablespoons sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth; spread over cookies. Top with fruit. Gently brush with glaze. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sugar Cookie Tarts in Reminisce Extra April 2006, p 53