Sue’s Cream of Baked Potato Soup
With a garnish of shredded cheese and crumbled cooked bacon, this rich, velvety soup feels like something you'd get at a restaurant. Serve it with crusty bread and a crisp salad. —Sue Shepard, Terrytown, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set aside bacon.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, soup and evaporated milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Remove pulp from potatoes; stir into soup mixture. Discard potato shells.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process half of the soup until smooth. Return to pan. Add the process cheese, 2% milk, butter, basil and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with cheddar cheese and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without cheddar): 381 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1191mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Sue's Cream of Baked Potato Soup in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America RTL 2013