Sue’s Cream of Baked Potato Soup
With a garnish of shredded cheese and crumbled cooked bacon, this rich, velvety soup feels like something you'd get at a restaurant. Serve it with crusty bread and a crisp salad. —Sue Shepard, Terrytown, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Scrub and pierce potatoes. Bake at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set aside bacon.
- Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, soup and evaporated milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Remove pulp from potatoes; stir into soup mixture. Discard potato shells.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process half of the soup until smooth. Return to pan. Add the process cheese, 2% milk, butter, basil and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with cheddar cheese and bacon.